Sunday

Recipe: Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup is scrumptious



Butternut squash soup is not just for autumn anymore. This hearty favorite is delicious anytime.

Confession time: I like this butternut squash soup recipe better than Panera’s Autumn Squash Soup (which I love), and it definitely has fewer calories and less fat because I make it with lighter ingredients. Plus, I don’t have to worry about having an MSG headache, and it’s available all year long, if I whip it up myself.

I’ve taken my own Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup to potlucks, and I’ve poured it into large Mason Jars to pass along to shut-ins, new moms, and plenty of other folks. It reheats well and makes a super comfort food for wintry evenings or anytime.

When I have a day filled with at-home projects, need several hours at my desk in my home office, or simply want to binge-watch a favorite series, I prepare my ingredients and load up the crockpot to make this family favorite.

Several friends have asked me for the recipe for my Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup. So here it is.



First, gather the ingredients for Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup:

  • 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
  • 1 large apple (I prefer Granny Smith for the tartness.)
  • 1/2 cup of chopped onion (or dried onion flakes, in a pinch)
  • 1 teaspoon of salt (I use sea salt.)
  • 1/8 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2  cups of low-salt chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (or half-and-half for an even creamier soup)




Follow these instructions to make Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup:

Spray the inside of a crockpot (or slow cooker) with aerosol cooking oil. (I use olive oil spray.) Plug it in, and set it for high heat.

Peel the butternut squash. Cut it into 1”-2” cubes. Peel and cube the apple as well. Toss the cubed squash and apple into the crockpot, along with the onion, salt, red pepper, and broth.

Cook these ingredients together for 5 hours, until everything is very soft and mushy. (Crockpot cooking times may vary).

Unplug the crockpot, and let it cool completely.

Scoop about 1/3 of the cooled Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup mixture into a blender or food processor. (I use the Magic Bullet.) Puree this portion, then pour it into a large glass measuring cup (at least 8-cup size) or glass bowl with lid. Repeat with remaining thirds until all of the soup has been pureed.

Add the skim milk (or cream), and stir well. Cover and chill until ready to use.

Reheat the soup in a large saucepan or soup kettle, or warm it in the microwave.

NOTE: Soups containing dairy products do not freeze and thaw well. If you plan to freeze this soup for a later date, it’s best to leave out the cream until after you thaw it for actual use.

Image/s:
Adapted by this user
from public domain image

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. Like this blog?  Check out Practically at Home on Facebook. You are invited to visit my author page on Amazon.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment