Everybody plays the fool on the first day of April. Or it may seem so. Look out for tricksters and self-proclaimed comedians on April Fool’s Day!
Although it may also be called All Fool's Day, April Fool's Day is a humor-directed holiday, celebrated each year on April 1st. Some have said this celebration of silliness may be traced to Geoffrey Chaucer's 14th Century classic work, "The Canterbury Tales."
The ancient Romans celebrated a festival called Hilaria in late March, a merry-making occasion to mark the appearance of spring. Could this have been linked to the hilarity of April Fool's Day?
Maybe and maybe not.
Check out this rowdy roundup of April Fool’s stories from a host of hilarious friends and witty writing colleagues.
Are you hankering for more history of April Fool’s Day tricks?
Watch out for telephone tricks on April Fool’s Day!
- Try This Voice Changing April Fool's Day Phone Prank – Crystal Ray
- Ten Harmless, Humorous April Fool's Day Phone Pranks – Tricia Goss
- April Fool's: I Told My Sister I was Pregnant with Twins and She Believed Me – Samantha Van Vleet
Occasionally, April Fool’s foibles require a few crafty preparations.
- A Beauty Queen's April Fool's Day Allergy – Jacquie Piasta
- Craft recipes: Homemade slime – Linda Ann Nickerson
- Safe Easy April Fool's Day Pranks – Monica Bullock
Of course, celebrities perennially play pranksters for April Fool’s fun.
- 10 Wild Celebrity April Fool’s Jokes and Other Pranks – Linda Ann Nickerson
- April Fool's Day Jokes, Allen Funt, and Ashton Kutcher – Theresa Wiza
Beware! April Fool’s games can backfire!
- April Fool's Day Jokes You Should Never Play on Your Boyfriend – Jody Morse
- April Fool's Day is Just that -- a Day for Fools – Pattie Byrd
- Wheelchairs, Phone Calls and April Fool’s Day – Derek Odom
What’s your most remarkable April Fool’s Day memory?
- "Extremely Adult Behavior": April Fool's Day Memory – Juniper Russo
- Commentary from an April Fool – Lady Samantha
- Three April Fool's Day Jokes that Were Played on Me – Cheryl Williams
OK, what follows is not an April Fool’s Day joke.
I’ve enrolled six blogs in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, which starts April 1st. I’m committed to publish daily posts for a month – with topics running from A to Z.
Are you following these blogs yet? Why not? How about visiting these blogs throughout the month of April and leaving comments to keep me going? Include links to your own A to Z posts, so my readers can find your entries too.
- Heart of a Ready Writer
- Meme Express: Blog Prompts
- Nickers and Ink: Poetry and Humor
- Practically at Home
- The Mane Point: A Haven for Horse Lovers
- Working in Words
Last year's A to Z post: Aretha and April Fools
Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.
Joker Playing Card
2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge logo