Save on Home and Garden Items from Amazon.

Save on Scrapbooking Supplies

Friday

Acrophobia: Fearsome phobias from A to Z




Let’s start at the top, both alphabetically and figuratively. What’s one of the most popular phobias of all?

Acrophobia is the fear of heights.

People who have it are usually leery of ladders and scared on stilts. They may recoil from doing roofing projects, rappelling on cliffs, riding roller coasters, or hiking high hills.

Most of all, acrophobia tends to include a fear of flying.

But the fear of air travel has a term all its own: aviophobia. That refers to folks who may be particularly high-strung while on an airplane, in a helicopter, or aboard another aeronautical machine.

Acrophobia points to a fear of being far above the ground. Those who have it may experience vertigo, as well as shakiness and an overall sense of unease.


Image:
A to Z Blogging Challenge promo logo – fair use
Graphic adapted from public domain image

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. Like this blog?  Check out Practically at Home on Facebook




9 comments:

  1. Phobias are a great topic. I have always wondered what the fear of some things is called. You are the first blog to make it to my list to pop back every day to see what's going on. :)

    @magickislife from
    My Creatively Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great--I took on phobias in this challenge as well. Interesting to see a different approach. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your A-Day post ... and commented (from one of my other blog sites). I have 7 blogs in the A-Z challenge this year. (What was I thinking?) ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's a strange thing. I've never had Acrophobia. I'm a little bit of an adrenaline junkie loving roller coasters and harboring life long desires to do things like bungee jumping and sky diving. 18 months ago I moved to the Andes mountains of Ecuador, altitude 8,000 ft. Now on roof top terraces and other high places I find myself with a sort of vertigo and a fear that comes with it. Maybe it isn't all psychological after all. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    @ScarlettBraden from
    Frankly Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting theme! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your posts :)

    @LunaNoctis from There She Goes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I almost didn't click on your link because I immediately thought you were talking about Arachnophobia and couldn't bear it if there was a huge spider! I have a fear of falling downstairs - i wonder if that is considered Acrophobia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is interesting. I am less afraid in a plane than on my own two feet! @suesconsideredt from Sue’s Trifles
    and Sue’s words and pictures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative and entertaining topic, Linda. I bet you didn't have too much difficulty with the word starting with x focusing on this theme. :-)

    Liesbet @ Roaming About – A Life Less Ordinary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin