No News Is Good News for Tax Day Tomorrow
(posted for the A to Z Challenge)
N is for No News.
Tomorrow is Tax Day in the U.S.
Have you filed your taxes yet? If you have, then you either wrote a check, or you are hoping to receive a check. And that’s all you want to hear, when it comes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Don’t even mention the word “audit.” (Sorry, just did.)
We was audited once, and the IRS actually ended up owing us money. They sent us a check for $50 and change. OK, it wasn’t much, but it sure beat the proverbial stick in the eye. The discrepancy had to do with underreporting of tithing and charitable donations. The IRS apparently questioned our reported giving. When we retrieved copies of the missing receipts, the totals exceeded what we had claimed.
Well, go-o-o-olly! (as Gomer Pyle used to say).
Since today is April 14th, and Tax Day is tomorrow, here are 14 thought-provoking quotations about taxes. These tax quotes are, of course, printed in red ink.
14 Quotations on Taxes
- Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. (Calvin Coolidge)
- I shall never use profanity except in discussing house rent and taxes. (Mark Twain)
- I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money. (Arthur Godfrey)
- Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today. (Herman Wouk)
- It's income tax time again, Americans: time to gather up those receipts, get out those tax forms, sharpen up that pencil, and stab yourself in the aorta. (Dave Barry)
- Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. (Franklin D. Roosevelt)
- The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. (Albert Einstein)
- The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government. (Barry Goldwater)
- The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has. (Will Rogers)
- The more you earn, the less you keep, And now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to take, If the tax-collector hasn't got it before I wake. (Ogden Nash)
- The politicians say "we" can't afford a tax cut. Maybe we can't afford the politicians. (Steve Forbes)
- We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. (Winston Churchill)
- What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin (Mark Twain)
- When there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income. (Plato)
by Marinus Claesz van Reymerswaele
And here’s an oldies tune for the occasion, “Taxman,” by The Beatles.