Weirdest Wives' Tales
(posted for the A to Z Challenge)
W is for Weird … and Wives’ Tales.
What’s an old wives’ tale?
So what’s the difference between an old wives’ tale and an urban legend? Is this anything like a fish story, a tall tale or a yarn?
Usually, an old wives’ tale involves instruction of some sort, whether true or not. Many old-time home remedies, pregnancy precautions, parenting instructions and superstitions may be traced to traditional wives’ tales.
Let’s look at some popular old wives’ tales.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- Are your ears burning? If so, then someone is talking about you.
- Don’t cross your eyes, or they might stick like that.
- Don’t step on a crack, or you’ll break your mother’s back.
- Hold your breath, while you drive past a cemetery.
- If you kill a spider, it will rain.
- If you swallow your bubblegum, it will stay in your stomach for seven years.
- Open an umbrella indoors, and you will bring back luck.
- Sitting too close to the TV can make you go blind.
- Toads cause warts.
Do you believe any of these old wives’ tales?
What other old wives’ tales have you heard?
by Camille Pissarro
Public Domain – Copyright Expired