Save on Home and Garden Items from Amazon.

Save on Scrapbooking Supplies

Thursday

A-Z Garden Tips: Zigzagging



How does your garden grow? Well, maybe Mary-Mary of the old nursery rhyme planted her flowers all in a neat little row, but I surely don’t. Personally, I find it a lot more interesting and visually appealing to mix things up a bit.

When I pick out my annuals in the spring, I like to grab a variety of bright colors. I might buy cosmos, dahlias, dianthus, geraniums, gerbera daisies, marigolds, violas, and zinnias. And I may even plant them in the same bed.

Usually, I cluster similar flowers in odd little bunches. Long ago, a veteran gardener and floral arranger told me the best flower groupings are done in odd numbers. I’m not even sure why, but the habit was formed.

Instead of lining my plantings all up in rows, I zigzag them. I guess I must have something against too much order in my garden. I guess I prefer splashes of color to stripes – at least for planting. And I think the flowers fill in nicely and look fuller and prettier this way.

Maybe it’s just me and my quirky garden. But I like it.

Marigolds
Public domain photo



NOTE:  This blogger has no affiliation with any product/s mentioned in this post and received no remuneration from the manufacturer/s or product promoter/s for this post.


Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. Like this blog?  Check out Practically at Home on Facebook.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely to have a flower garden. Our yard has too much shade to grow lots of flowers.

    Thank you so much for participating in the A to Z Challenge! You rock! Congrats on getting to the letter Z! Reminder: there will be an A to Z Reflections round on May 4th. There will be a Linky for it on the main blog, so please look for it there! Please post your reflections on the challenge, visit others, and catch up on the blogs you didn't have time to read!

    Team Macha, Helping Co-Host Zalka
    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the A to Z road trip. I agree with you; I prefer my garden flowers to be splashes of color, not straight rows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda. My garden is very small with 3 hydrangeas making up most of it! I had ordered bulbs of mini iris and a variety of others that I planted this spring. I was reading that the fall was the best time to plant them, so I hope they will do OK---if the mole or voles don't get to them first for their snack...I got a few annuals that are pretty and some coreopsis to add more color this year. My hydrangeas are FINALLY going to bloom.

    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! If you have a minute, check out my blog for the information on what to do. Here's the link http://www.somersethouse.me/?p=1425. Have fun! Joan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin