Wednesday

Christmas usually has me in stitches

 

 HOMEMADE – for the 2021 Holiday Photography Challenge (See sidebar for full list.).

 

The skill of sewing has been passed down for many generations in my family. My grandmother was an excellent seamstress. She created hand-smocked dresses each Christmas for me and my sister and all of our female cousins. Learning at her side, my mother went on to teach me to sew. Eventually, I landed a job in a fabric store, sewing my way through part of college and graduate school.

 Christmastime is one of my favorite times to stitch up new projects. From handmade ornaments to holiday quilts, from stick ponies to stuffed animals, and from table runners to tailored clothing, I’ve sewn through miles of Christmas fabric over the years. 


 

 My favorite Christmas tree skirt is pictured here. Initially, I created it for an in-shop display at the fabric store where I was employed. That meant I could take it home for keeps after that holiday season. That was more than 40 years ago.

 It’s held up to lots of laundering … and even some kitty love.

 Image/s: Personal photo/s. All rights reserved.

Feel free to follow on Twitter. Like this blog?  Check out Practically at Home on Facebook. You are invited to visit my author page on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment