Thursday

Foods of many hues banish midwinter blues

 

COLORFUL - for the 2021 Holiday Photography Challenge (See sidebar for full list.).

 

Winter doesn’t officially begin for another week or two, but it sure feels like the coldest, darkest time of the year is already upon us. The gloomiest days tempt us to hunker down at home and carb up with comfort foods.

 Resisting that urge, I’m off to a holiday gathering. And I’m taking a veritable vegetable rainbow along with me. Check it out: broccoli, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, orange peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and fresh parsley. (Sure, I didn't pick 'em out of my home garden this time. I grabbed these from the produce department. Hey, it's December in the Upper Midwest!)

 “A colorful plate is a healthy plate,” I heard a wise woman say (many times). And she was right. When we eat meals containing plenty of hues, we’re usually hitting multiple nutritional food groups and ingesting various vitamins at the same time.

 So take that, Ole Winter. We’re slugging back with colorful consumption and cordial community.

 Image/s: Personal photo/s. All rights reserved.

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. Like this blog?  Check out Practically at Home on Facebook. You are invited to visit my author page on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment