Tuesday

Mint’s gone mad!




Mint is marvelous. Most multitudes may agree.

But in my garden, mint is a monstrosity.

Hoping to harvest a few leaves of fresh mint to garnish iced tea and some favorite dessert dishes, I tried planting some peppermint in my home garden a few years ago. I bought one tiny cell flat at the local nursery, and plunked it into a bed on one side of the house.

Oh, my. Within a month or so, mint was popping up everywhere.

I tugged and dug and pulled out more mint than I could measure. It sprung up all over. The next year, it returned with a vengeance. I found mint growing in a bed on the other side of the house.

Mint seems to have a mind of its own.


Later, I mentioned the mint mayhem to a master gardener, who patiently explained that mint may be planted in an empty coffee can, buried to its opening in the garden. That prevents the roots from burrowing all over and spreading the aggressive vegetarian throughout the Tri-State area.

“Now you tell me!”


Practically at Home is participating in the April A to Z Blogging Challenge again this year. Stop on back, so you don’t miss a single post!

Image/s:
Moods and Foods from A to Z - Created by this user
Other photo/s – Creative Commons Licensing


Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. Like this blog?  Check out Practically at Home on Facebook. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment